Saturday, February 23, 2008

R.I.P. Izzy (Approx. October 2006 - February 23, 2008)


My dear, tiny little rattie girl, Izzy... aka "Dizzy" Izzy, or more commonly, Izzybella... just passed away in my arms 15 minutes ago. I hope I was able to be of some comfort to her in her last moments here on earth, as it was difficult to watch her go through.

I could tell she wasn't well early in the evening, I could see the signs. Then, when she wasn't eating her favorite puffed wheat cereal, and she was walking poorly, I knew the end was near. She was also breathing harder than she normally would and felt a bit chilly... especially her tail. I kept checking on her and trying to keep her warm, and she wasn't getting any better.

I fell asleep on the couch for a couple hours, and then when I woke up I checked on her again, and she was looking even worse, so I took her out of her cage and held her. I held her and talked to her and tried to comfort her... until she passed away on my lap and craddled in my arm while I was petting and holding her.

She passed fairly quickly, and it was seemingly painless... though she was obviously frightened... as was I.

I handed her to her cagemate, Holden, for a final goodbye, which was something else that was difficult to watch. (Most people don't know this, but when rats lose their cagemate / lifemate / sibling, etc., they grieve like people... so a "final goodbye" is very important when one passes. I'll have to watch Holden closely for any behavioral changes related to grieving.)

Anyway... Izzy was my special little girlie rat. She had a neurological disorder, which is part of why I took her home with me. Other than her "ticks" and walking in circles (until moving in with Holden... then that part went away), she was a normal rattie who made me giggle and smile all the time. I couldn't hold her freely, as I do my other rats, as she didn't have good balance and with her "ticks" would thrash about sometimes... but I made up for it with my hands inside the safety of their cage playing with her. And sometimes by sitting in an empty bathtub and playing with her there.

Izzy, have fun at The Bridge, (where all of the other animals... and my other ratties... go / have gone when they pass). Eat all the puffed wheat and vanilla yogurt that you want! When you were here with me, you always seemed like you were having fun, and looked like you were grinning... it was in your eyes. I hope that's how you are now, but free from your challenges and the infection that took your life. I will forever remember your little hand always reaching out to hold my finger, and the adorable way you'd grab... run with... and hold onto any treats as you'd eat them. I love you and will miss you so very, very much. You will never be forgotten.

1 Comments:

At 3:41 PM MST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful Amy. very touching. most rat lovers have been there, and can empathize totally with your loss.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home