Saturday, September 16, 2006

New Addition


So... I went to a pet store early this afternoon... which is a necessity sometimes (something I try not to do... ESPECIALLY when they sell animals. And even more especially when they sell animals that I have a passion for as food for other animals!). I went all the way to Louisville because they are the only place I know of semi-locally that sells something called Ivermectin. It's made for the use in horses, to treat worms and the like... but in a very tiny amount can be used to treat mites in ratties. I suspect my rattie Holden has them, so, I had to go to this store.

Well, I ended up rescuing a little boy rattie, and I'm hoping that due to his very young age... and the young age of Holden, that they will become buddies and cagemates! I had to leave this new rattie's brother behind... which saddened me. (I hope he finds a good home, and does not become snake food!) *sigh*

This little boy is a blackish-brown Dumbo, and I fell in love with him when I was holding him (originally, just to say hello... give them both some love), and I saw he had a white patch on his belly in the shape of a heart! Needless to say, I left with him and the Ivermectin.

He is the most tiny little boy, no larger than a mouse! He's less than 2 mos. old they said... he's so fragile. He's been sitting here grubbing on everything in his food bowl. hee hee His favorites seems to be Rice Chex and Cheerios.

Anyway... I hope that after his quarantine period is over that the procedure of introductions to one another is a success. Otherwise, I'll have to take this boy back. *Not going to happen!* :( My fingers are crossed that they will get along. (I had been introducing Holden to the three girls I have, but I have an elderly girl... and he can get a little rough / playful... so I'm going to try this instead.)

I have named him Hardy... (like, heart-y... because of the heart on his belly).

3 Comments:

At 10:20 PM MDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Hardy doesn't work for your other rats -- then I'll take him. He has lovely long fingers (paws) and since he'd be in a cage -- no worries with my big monkey-dogs. And I'm not signing on to Blogger -- so it's me, Laurel.

 
At 7:12 AM MDT, Blogger Rocky Mountain Rat Girl said...

Laurel and Hardy... hehe Took me a while to make that connection... I'm slow in the morning.

Thanks for the offer! I actually may go get his brother if he's still there... I feel like leavng the other boy behind was mean... since they are so tiny. :( Hardy's lonely in quarantine, and hopefully three is no more difficult than two... where introductions with male ratties are concerened.

 
At 12:18 AM MDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home