Saturday, September 23, 2006

RIP Peanut (approx. March 2005 - Sept. 23, 2006)


First thing this morning I took Peanut to see Dr. Bock (our Vet), after two days / nights of difficulty breathing. She wasn't exhibiting most of the other "typical" signs of an Upper Respiratory Infection / Myco, but her sides were heaving as she'd try to breathe, and she was very lethargic. One of her cagemates, Abby, had been sneezing and a little wheezy, so I started all three girls on Baytril three days ago.

After the examination was over and Dr. Bock went into the next room to read the nose / throat cultures, I put Peanut down on the table for a moment and she started making movements with her mouth like she was choking, then more like she was trying to breathe and couldn't. I picked her up quickly to see what was wrong and she jerked herself out of my arms and onto the table... then started running around, panicked. I grabbed her and she was losing control, I had to hug her next to me with both hands, as she was jerking and clawing... like she was trying to get away... then, her whole body went limp in my hands.

I knew what had just happened. Peanut had just died.

I didn't know what to do so I yelled out to Dr. Bock, who came in right away. I told him through tears, "I think she just died!" I had placed her on the table right before he came in (since I was in shock and crying... didn't know what to do), so he picked her up and rushed her to the back. Our Vet Tech went also... I was left in tears, and waiting, alone with my other two rattie girls.

About 10 minutes went by and Dr. Bock returned with my dear Peanut in a cloth. "I'm so sorry, I did everything I could." They gave her oxygen, chest compressions, an Epinephrin shot, and a Calcium shot... nothing could bring her back.

I'm trying to believe that I didn't scare her to death, literally, by taking her to the Vet. Had I not taken her, and had she passed away at home in another day or two, I would have been kicking myself for not taking her in. This was so unexpected, and such an unpleasant and non-peaceful way for her to leave and go to The Bridge.

I'm so sorry, Peanut. I will miss your little Dumbo rattie ears, your cute little pear-shaped body (kinda like a furry seal), and your ruby eyes dearly. You won't ever be forgotten.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home