Tuesday, November 21, 2006

RIP CareBear (approx. March 2005 - Nov. 21, 2006)

My spunky little CareBear passed away sometime between 7:25 this morning and 1:05pm, when I arrived home for lunch. I found her at the bottom of her cage, still slightly warm, but with the stiffness of rigor mortis beginning to set in. As I sit here now, she is on my lap (after I had to leave in tears and get my flu shot). She looks to be at peace... like she's just resting on my lap.

She's been fighting Pneumonia for over three weeks now. Dr. Bock and I have tried three different treatments, none of which have made any progress in the direction of improvement. I've spent this time comforting her, we had much quality time together, I medicated and fed her via syringe, all the while hoping for a miracle that she would start to get better.

I had a feeling she was going to pass to the Bridge today. She was agitated all morning while I was getting ready for work, rather than just lying in her bed and struggling to breathe. I did the best I could... I gave her love, comfort, and care during her last days with me. I only wish the last days weren't so difficult on us both. This morning I placed a hand towel and my heating pad on "low" over part of the top of half of her bed area to keep her warm, since she was feeling cold when I held her... her tail was cool too. (Before I left I checked the temp. to make sure it wasn't too hot... seemed mighty cozy in fact.)

CareBear, I will miss all of your rattie kisses (as no rattie of mine has given or will give me). I will miss having to say, "NO!" repeatedly, as you jump off the couch to walk around my condo... wherever you please... and watching your little body wiggle its way down my hallway. I will miss the sound of your teeth grinding against the metal bars of your cage... as if you were trying to chew your way out. I will miss YOU, CareBear! I thank you for all the giggles and laughs you have given me... along with the smiles and cuddles when I was down. These things will never be forgotten. Sleep peacefully my dear friend...

4 Comments:

At 4:22 PM MST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh sooo sooo sad. Poor CareBear...Think of him happy and healthy now on the Rainbow Bridge, waiting for another rattie to lead him to the spegetti farm and the chocolate mine. First he will rest in a large pile of other ratties, sleep and get groomed, and feel just fine. He is happy now, Amy. You must feel happy for him.
Love, Shari

 
At 7:07 AM MST, Blogger Rocky Mountain Rat Girl said...

Thanks, Shari. I'm not quite happy for her yet... that will take time.

*Oh, CareBear is a "she," not a "he." Everyone gets that confused... not sure why.

 
At 6:49 PM MST, Blogger Lidarman said...

Sorry about your baby Amy. :(

Happy thanksgiving btw.

 
At 10:55 PM MST, Blogger Rocky Mountain Rat Girl said...

Thank you, Richard! I appreciate your kind comment.

Happy Thanksgiving to you (and Renee) as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home