Sunday, August 26, 2007

Planet Boulder - By the Numbers

I read an interesting article today in Boulder Magazine, and it was talking about the ways in which Boulder has changed over the last few decades. I found the following statistics to be interesting:

1. Now, in 2007, there are 44,000 protected acres of land in Boulder's Open Space. (144 miles are maintained by the Open Space Mountain Parks.)

2. The median age in Boulder is currently estimated at 31.5.

3. In the year 2000, the median family income in Boulder was $70,257. They didn't have the numbers available for 2007...

4. The median price for a single family home in Boulder, in 2007, is $540,000.

5. If you make $41,700 / year or less, that is considered to be "low income" in Boulder.

And, lastly...

6. In 2005, over 70% of Boulder citizens hold a Bachelor degree or higher. Again, they didn't have the numbers available for 2007...

They also mentioned the percentage of Hispanics living here in Boulder (8.2% in 2000). I am very curious as to why they did not mention the percentage of any other "non-white" group living in Boulder. Could this be because the numbers are so low? Because Boulder is so prominently white, and non-diversified? This, I will say, is the only thing I don't like about Boulder... lack of racial diversity.

I still LOVE it here, and hope to always call it home.

3 Comments:

At 10:35 PM MDT, Blogger Lidarman said...

Renee and I coming from New Mexico, definitely noticed the "white" predominance when we moved here in 1995. We also notice the import SUV, bmw, audi, subaru infuence, not the VW hippie van one would expect.

Boulder has changed.

$$$$$$$$$$$ has kicked out the hippies and invited the Californication aspect of the yuppie.

It's a wonderful town and I can see why. I love it here. I go back to NM and see how poor the state is. taxes are high here, but standard of living is high too.

In NM, many people worry about their car over their trailer home.

I guess people here have so much money, they have a good car by default and just worry about how fast the starbucks clerk will get their multi-syllable complex coffee -like drink ready while they chat on their iPhone.

Amazing culture difference.

I'm not sure I even stayed on topic.......

 
At 10:40 PM MDT, Blogger Lidarman said...

PS: Median Age.

When Renee and I moved here we were below median age. now we are way above.

Obviously a college town with a dynamic nature.

 
At 7:09 AM MDT, Blogger Rocky Mountain Rat Girl said...

Coming from NY in 1978, I agree, "Boulder has changed." And, as you know, I too am now way above Boulder's median age.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home