Thursday, October 20, 2005

Why "Rocky Mountain Rat Girl?"







I love rats... so much so, I have eight of them... yes, eight. Four boys and four girls occupy my dinning room... all of them in their cages on a nice shelving unit on wheels.

Gwen (pet store rescue), her cage mate and best buddy Abby (pet store rescue), Peanut (pet store rescue), her cage mate and best buddy Care Bear (pet store rescue), Ripley (Humane Society rescue), Li'l Man (pet store rescue), Chance (Humane Society rescue, and Ripley's long lost Brother), and George (pet store / feeder rat rescue).

Six of them are completely tame and social, and I hold and play with them daily. This includes supervised playtime w/ free run of my bedroom or the livingroom couch, and playing with me. :) Ripley, however, has decided he doesn't really like being held anymore, and has bitten me a couple times lately. George (my very first rat) has always been afraid of people, but he's becoming a little more trusting and friendly, now that I've had him for over a year.

Rats are one of the most misunderstood, unwanted and neglected pets. I am so glad that I am not allergic to them... as I am allergic to every other furry animal on the planet. Having these intelligent, amusing, cute, cuddly, wonderful creatures in my life is a gift.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home