Sunday, February 05, 2006

Another sick rattie :*(




This is my most cuddly, friendly boy rattie, Chance. He's about a year and a half old, and I rescued him from the Humane Society a year ago next month. He started having trouble breathing suddenly, none of the usual symptoms of sneezing, wheezing, etc. first, and then was walking on three legs, with one up in the air... with the foot and leg swollen and purple. ACK!

First thing Tuesday morning, off to Dr. Bock we went. An examination, two injections, two X-rays, and $200 later, he gets to come home. Poor little guy has a serious Upper Respiratory Infection (OH NO, NOT THIS AGAIN!!!???), and Cellulitis of his foot / leg. I will be giving him antibiotics 2x / day and an anti-inflammatory 1x/ day for the next two weeks. He was being stubborn at first, so I had to force-feed the meds, but now he's taking them with a mixture of bananas and apple baby food with a couple drops of vanilla syrup mixed in. Hey, whatever works!! It's his taste buds, not mine.

His foot is looking normal again, and he's walking on it too... WHEW! Now I just have to keep a close eye on his breathing, and make sure his lungs are improving. So... he's bunking with me, away from the others, with my vaporizor running 24/7. I sure hope he bounces back and is OK! I don't want another situation like I had with George... that was terrible and heart wrenching. I am thinking positive thoughts and I'm working on the whole Faith thing too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home