Saturday, August 05, 2006

Out of my Comfort Zone

So I went WAY out of my comfort zone last night, to avoid staying home on yet another Friday night. I went to a play at a local Boulder theatre, and I went by myself. I was nervous, since I'm not a "fan" of going out and doing such activities alone... not to mention, I wouldn't consider myself someone who likes going to plays. A bit of a double-whammy for me to go, but I followed-through (partially because I bought my ticket ahead of time), and at 7:30, off I went.

I admit that I felt a bit awkward, but did a lot of self-talk. I think my awkwardness was obvious when I sat in the top row, end chair. :/ I'm a "back row type-of gal," in most instances... but this was very deliberate. And, well, I had the entire row to myself.

The play was 1 1/2 hrs. long, and it was only mildly entertaining at best. I think that my favorite part, if I had one, was when she (the writer / performer) sang one of my favorite songs, "That I Would be Good, "by Alanis Morissette. This woman was the only person in this play, mind you... the only "character." I'm still unclear as to whether it was fiction or non-fiction... maybe a mixture of both. I think that if it were non-fiction, and I knew this, I would have enjoyed it more. Anywho...

This may have been a breakthrough for me. Maybe I'll go do something else similar, another time, by myself. And maybe if I keep doing this, I'll begin to feel less awkward, less "loserish" about it.

I tried and tried not to compare my situation with everyone else in the audience, but I couldn't help myself. I WAS the only one there alone, and to know that sucked... but I toughed it out and enjoyed myself as much as I could.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home