Saturday, February 10, 2007

Another New Addition!

Meet Mr. Wrinkles. I rescued him from a possible lifetime of low-maintenance care, and no interaction, from P*M* this afternoon.

Something different about him? Really? hehe Yes, he's one of the more rare type of ratties, he's a hairless rat. He barely even has any fuzz on him, pretty much just curly whiskers.

**I'll be looking up the allergies associated with hairless rats. Hopefully I'll be less allergic than I am with my others... or at least no worse!!

He's approximately 6 mos. old, though they never know for certain when rescuing from a pet store (flesh peddler). He's a definite sweetheart... no biting, no aggression. In fact, while I was holding him at P*M*, he started bruxing like crazy in my hands! (The rat's equivalent to a cat's purring.) That's when I knew he needed a home, and that home would be mine.

My plan is to have him neutered, and then he will be healing during his 3 week quarantine period (something you should always do when bringing a new rattie into your home when there are others living there). I then would like to start the process of introducing him to my other neutered male that is living alone, Holden. If all goes well, and without the issue of testosterone, I hope they will get along over a period of time and can then move in together. Rats are much happier / healthier when living in pairs or groups... they aren't solitary animals, no matter how much human interaction they receive.

Only the face a mother could love? Well, I do! Welcome home, Mr. Wrinkles!

2 Comments:

At 3:04 PM MST, Blogger cgoehring78 said...

Amy,

CongRATulations! Hairless rats are the GentleRats of the Ratty world. They are completely different from other rats. You'll see what I mean. If you can't integrate him with Holden, don't force it, but I've seen some really cute photos of hairless and hairy ratties snuggling together. I've only had single hairless and they do just fine alone. I LOVVVVVVVVEEEEEEE my hairless SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much. You will never regret one day of having him! Kiss his little naked head for me, okay? And make sure he stays warm. Yoda, my hairless, prefers newspaper over any other bedding. Give your guy a choice and see what he prefers. Avoid anything with sharp edges!

Love,
Cindy

 
At 12:51 PM MDT, Blogger Rocky Mountain Rat Girl said...

Mr. Wrinkles' name was changed w/in days of bringing him home to E.T.! =D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home