Sunday, June 17, 2007

Outcast Bird... Oh no!

At three days old, this poor little bird (still pink and not even the size of my pinky finger... eyes still closed) was shoved from the nest either by the Mom or the siblings. Apparently this happens if one is smaller than the rest, may be ill, cannot feed them all... which in this case I have now confirmed is five babies, etc.

He was on his side at the edge of the flower basket, still alive, but not for much longer if he wasn't in the nest. I'm glad I climbed up to check on them when I got home from work.

Anyway, the wildlife people suggested putting him back into the nest. WHAT?? ME? USING WHAT, MY MAGICAL POWERS? No, I was to use my hands and pick up this fragile, tiny being without hurting him (or myself by falling off the chair), and place him into the nest. Good Lord... I was nervous. I did it though... I scooped the bird up carefully, though I was shaking, and carefully placed him with the others. WHEW! Then I was told to watch and see if he's ousted again, and if so, the wildlife folks would come by and take the poor little thing.

Great news!! (When I found the outcast birdie, the others had all turned the more natural dark color, but not this one.) Now, seven days later... even the outcast has turned dark in color and is growing bigger (though still a little smaller than the others) and eating along with everyone else. He / she did not get shoved from the nest again, and is now growing like his siblings, and Mom and Dad bird are feeding all five! And wow do they making their "cheeping" noises when this happens. It's endearing.

Hooray, it seems I saved this little birds life! Next exciting / scary thing for the babies... attempting flight.

P.S. It's a myth that if you touch a baby bird, the Mother will abandon it. Birds do not recognize the smell of humans on their babies. I admit, knowing this allows me to pet their little heads once in a while, though I mostly leave them alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home