Monday, April 03, 2006

Do You Eat Meat?

I consider myself to be a semi-vegetarian. I don't eat red meat (except for my freakish once-every-several-months craving for a Big Mac), fish, or pork... I don't drink cow's milk, eat yogurt, or eat eggs... but I do eat cheese, chicken, and sometimes turkey (mostly of the ground variety, as a ground beef substitute). I decided to continue to eat chicken, mostly because I don't cook and I needed a way to get protein... and it's easy to come by without cooking at home.

I haven't felt great about this "choice" to eat these two types of meat, and after watching the following "video," http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/video.asp?video=meet_your_meat&Player=wm&speed=_low, I am in tears... sick to my stomach... and have decided that I'm going to have to find something else to eat for protein in my main courses. I can no longer eat chicken or turkey. NO MORE MEAT AT ALL!

I am so disgusted and this lump in my throat is so large, I may skip dinner altogether tonight.

4 Comments:

At 10:54 PM MDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh brother. Listening to Peta is like listening to FOX "news". Oh yes, we should feel sorry for the poor chickens whose lives were violently ended. Should we have given them lethal injections? Peta would have a field day with that, claiming that the meat is further tainted with toxins, or somesuch nonsense. Commercial vegetable farming has its ugliness, too. Next time I eat a chicken breast, I'll make sure to tell it I'm sorry, though.

(Rob G.)

 
At 2:57 AM MDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Animals have it tough whether they live in the wild or in the slaughterhouse.

Don't feel bad.

 
At 6:36 AM MDT, Blogger Rocky Mountain Rat Girl said...

True enough. Though for my own conscience... a purely PERSONAL choice.

 
At 10:45 PM MDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Safed, the comments are for anyone to express their thoughts on the post; that's the beauty of blogs. I'm not telling Amy to eat meat, and I respect her decision. My initial comment was a reaction to her reaction to PETA propaganda.

The ugliness in commercial veggie farming I was referring to was not related to torture of the veggies, per se. It's the fact that the same bottom line mentality pervades the industry and leads to pesticide use and big box (big farm?) farming techniques that are just as unpleasant to me as chickens wobbling around in their own shit is to you.

Having said that, I peeked at your website and enjoyed the brief visit and plan to head over there now for a deeper dig.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home