Saturday, August 05, 2006

New Addition - Holden


My heart continues to break for the losses of my ratties as of late, and I also continue to grieve and heal. I have no plan to replenish the number of ratties that I had a year ago (8 total), my plan is a more manageable number... two or three. And, I know that none of my ratties can be "replaced" when they go... it just won't happen.

Anyway, an opportunity presented itself to me on Wed. of this past week. A college girl that I am aquainted with, through our local "rat lovers" community, needed to find forever homes for three of her beloved ratties... all boys... 3 mos., 6 mos., and 8 mos. in age.

I was VERY hesitant, but she offered for me to "come see them, if only just for fun." I thought this was a great idea... I'm always happy to see ratties! haha And, I know that she has 16 others, and I was curious to see those as well. (I know me, so I brought alone a small travel cage... JUST IN CASE.)

Needless to say, I have a new member of my "furkid" family. He's 3 mos. old, he's a Berkshire rattie with ruby eyes, and I have named him Holden, from "Catcher in the Rye." What a doll he is! We've been doing a lot of bonding, and it couldn't be going any better. In just 2 days he's already figured out how the others are "trained." (I call their names, thump a couple times in one spot, and they know it's time to come to that spot and I put them back into their cages). He's so smart. I thought it would take a while to teach him this behavior, but he got it right away! :)

Holden has an appt. at the Vet for next Friday... he is being neutered... so that he can then live with the three girlies, rather than alone, as all of my other boys have. It should work out nicely. My other remaining boy will continue to live alone... (he's getting old and is very grumpy).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home