Sunday, May 11, 2008

New Air Filter... Meaning... a Trip to Checker!

This weekend was meant for lots of errand running, and, some vehicle maintenance on Elvis.

Yesterday, I took him and had an oil change, complete with new oil filter... 1,000 miles early. Am I on the ball or what?!

And today I did one of my favorite things... went to Checker Auto Parts because I belieed it was time for a new air filter. I've been reading that if you change your air filter frequently enough (I forget... it's either every 3 or 6 months), it helps considerably with your vehicle's gas mileage. Yes, I admit, this was my main motivation for my trip to the auto parts store... this time.

I'm not as accustom to Elvis' engine as I was to my previous car, Barney's, but it wasn't difficult to find where the air filter was... just a few clicks of some clips, and there it was.

Note: It's a MUST to do all of this hood-popping and engine-fiddling in the parking lot of Checker, mind you. It's easy to fit in with all the other "dudes" and their open hoods there to buy this and that. Not to mention the looks you get, like, "I wonder if she actually knows what she's doing," and the occasional, "Do you need any help?"

When I pulled out the air filter... EWWWW! I've had Elvis for 1 1/2 years now, so that's AT LEAST how old this air filter was. (See pic...) It had dirt, dust, leaves, cotton wood spores, tiny branches... you name it, it was in there. This couldn't be good.

Needless to say, I bought a brand new shiny white one, popped it in, and drove away. I think I even heard Elvis say "Thank you," over the sound of my music as we drove away.

Last week, I adjusted my tire pressure as well, making sure that all four (4) tires were at 35psi. This too should help w/ my gas mileage. And, on nice days, I'll be walking or biking to / from work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home