Thursday, March 15, 2007

Palpitations


In Sept. of 2000, I had my Mitral Valve repaired... TWICE! Once on the 21st, and again on the 29th. This was due to having severe MVP (Mitral Valve Prolapse / Regurgitation)... which I was diagnosed with when I was 18 mos. old. Though at that point, and up until about 1999, it was considered to be mild.

Anyway, up until this past Sunday, I have been feeling great... heart-wise. Then, Sunday morning I experienced a scary bout of arrhythmias that passed after a couple / few minutes, but left me scared and feeling very apprehensive. I wasn't doing anything when it occured, just sitting in the car. Then, the same thing happened again on Tues., while sitting at my desk before lunch. Again, I was frightened. WTF is going on???

I called my Cardiologist on Tuesday and yesterday I was hooked up to a 30-day cardiac "event monitor." Whenever I feel any arrhythmias (or palpitations / PVCs), I push a button and it records my heart rhythm. After I have recorded two of these, I then call a toll-free number and transmit my "event" through the telephone. I then start over, and so on.

I must say, I am scared half to death about what is going on, what it may mean. Has my repaired valve failed? Does it need to be fixed again? Is something else wrong? This is my HEART we are talking about here... can't get much more serious that that.

Tomorrow morning I have an echocardiogram scheduled. This test normally doesn't scare me, and it's something I have done yearly. Tomorrow's will be very different.

7 Comments:

At 12:58 PM MDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would be scary as hell! I'll be sending lots of prayers, good vibes and healthy heart thoughts your way.

 
At 3:20 PM MDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with everything Amy!! :)

 
At 3:27 PM MDT, Blogger Rocky Mountain Rat Girl said...

Sprite: Thank you! I appreciate it, and could use all the help I can get!

Anonymous: Wish I knew who you were (though I think I do). Thank you for the "good luck" wish.

 
At 6:59 PM MDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL I knew you would figure it out! I can solve your mystery for this one and the pep talk after that jerk guy messaged you, but anything else wasn't me. :)

 
At 12:59 AM MDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't say enough. You have been through hell and I know this kind of events are your own mini hell.


My thoughts are with you and I know you will be strong like every other time.

 
At 7:15 AM MDT, Blogger Rocky Mountain Rat Girl said...

Duane: You are right... I have been through hell, and this is just another one of my "mini hells."

As for my strength... I wonder how much I really have within me.

All: I had my echo on Fri., and the Echocargiographer said that the measurements of my valve's opening are the same as they have been since after my surgery (a GOOD thing), and the slight bit of regurgitation hasn't changed since after my surgery either, it's still very mild (another GOOD thing). She did see some palpitations happening as I had the test. Anyway... this gives me hope, but I am trying to chill and wait until the Dr. reads it first, just in case he sees something that she didn't. But, WHEW, WHAT A RELIEF.

One possible cause may be elimiated. Onto a lack of Potassium (?)... for which I'm still waiting for my blood test to come back. Another... is it an electrical issue? Good Lord, I certainly hope not. Or, is it stress-related?

Onward!

 
At 5:31 PM MDT, Blogger sandrajeanpoet said...

Peace, be still.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home