Sunday, March 04, 2007

Hazel Miller Last Night

Last night, I went with my Mom, and friends-of-the-family (Jim, Wanda, and Lisa) to see Hazel Miller at Nissis in Lafayette. We were fortunate enough to have our table / seats right up front.

Wow! What a great time I had! (Despite the fact I'm fighting coming down with the cold / flu-like illness that EVERYONE I KNOW has these days.)

In typical "Amy fashion," I had blurted out that I'd like her to sing something by Etta James. After she mentioned something about what to sing next of course. She was taken aback by this, and pleasantly surprised. We had a brief exchange back and forth, and she sang one of Etta's songs. It was beautiful, yet one I wasn't all that familiar with. (Turns out she hasn't performed that song in about 10 years, but you wouldn't have known it.)

During Hazel's break, I went to thank her for the song. "You're the little Etta James fan!" She gave me a big hug and we introduced each other. She's so down-to-earth and friendly... like someone you've known for years. We talked for a short while, and she said that she was going to sing another Etta James song for me in her next set, she was going to sing, "At Last," which happens to be my favorite Etta James song... and one I hope to have as my "wedding song..." if I ever get married. It was fun because it was a "dedication" of sorts. She did a wonderful job singing it, and actually made it a bit more her own by stringing it out a bit, etc. At the end she said, "That has got to be the most romantic song ever written." I agree. Though John Denver probably has a couple / few that could also be considered.

I'm looking forward to seeing Hazel sing again in the near future, even if I have to go alone.

*I forgot to bring my camera. All I had was the camera on my phone... so the picture here isn't nearly as good as I wish it was. *sigh*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home