Thursday, June 28, 2007

Gettin' Out on the Town
















Last night my coworker / friend Kathy (see bus pic above) and I went to the Farmer's Market (THE Boulder thing to do it seems), and then to "Band on the Bricks" on the Pearl Street Mall. What a great time I had!

First, I haven't taken one of the city buses (Public transportation? Moi?) since 1985 when I was in High School! These buses sure have changed... no more hard seats, more more shouting "NEXT STOP PLEASE!" You now pull a cord and a LED board lights up that says "Stop Requested." The driver also "announces," though inaudibly, each stop that approaches. One thing has not changed... the drivers still seem a bit grouchy, bordering on disgruntled. Relax, sheesh... all you have to do is drive a bus all day / night!

We walked to the Farmer's Market and it was more fun than I expected. (Yes, I was a Farmer's Market virgin.) Even though I'm not into buying produce, it's fun to look at it all and sample whatever people have to share. Then, after walking around, it was time to go to the prepared food area and get something to eat. So many booths / food types to choose from... most with very LONG lines. I chose a huge berry smoothie, substituting mango for banana. It was non-dairy with no ice... PERFECT! :) Kathy had a Spring Roll that actually looked pretty good. Sucks that she had to eat and walk though, as we had to get over to the mall.

We arrived in front of the Courthouse just before 7pm, and grabbed a great place to sit... which turned into standing... which then turned into dancing. I've seen Hazel Miller about five times now, and this was the first time I've seen her with her funk band, singing dance music. The bass player played some really groovy basslines that had me dancing through several songs. The entire block was packed with people... people of all ages, from toddlers to geriatric folks in wheelchairs. Everyone dancing, singing along, and having a wonderful time.

They played for a couple of hours, then it was time to hop back on the bus and head back home.

I would definitely do this again... GOOD TIMES!

3 Comments:

At 6:33 PM MDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:10 AM MDT, Blogger Unknown said...

I seeeee you =-)~ -Nick

 
At 3:49 PM MDT, Blogger Rocky Mountain Rat Girl said...

haha That person waiving isn't me, actually. It's my friend / coworker Kathy (but we both have short hair, so it's hard to tell from that distance).

An easy way to know is... I don't wear pink. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home