Monday, May 19, 2008

Cat Sitting... (whatever it's called)


One week down, one to go.

I've been dropping in every-other day on a coworker's two cats while he's traveling on business since last Sunday when he left. The two cats are Tank (reddish, stripped male), and Slick (all black female).

I thought this would be enjoyable, and relatively easy... excluding the fact that I have to drive there after work, I'm severely asthmatic (especially when there's cat hair all over EVERYTHING! The TV, the counters, the carpets, the chairs, the blanket, EVERYWHERE), and I don't think I'm getting paid for doing this. Though I'm going to try and work this out, as what has transpired over the past week wasn't expected by me, warned by him, etc. It's been a bit of a nightmare, actually.

Just a couple things... they knocked over a heavy wooden chair, his guitar, the DVD player and cable box from above the TV (they may now be broken and not work at all), found their treats... opened, emptied, and ate the entire jar, vomited on the carpet (was it the treats? Maybe not, I've since found out that cats just do this), and yesterday was my major freakout...

I walked in, greeted Tank as I usually do, and noticed bird feathers all around the foyer area, and in the living room too. This couldn't be good, as they don't have a kitty toy that's like a bird. I started to panic and look around and I found a dead bird lying in the middle of the bedroom floor!!!!! O... M... G! Still, more feathers strewn about, and a glob of blood on the wall.

If you know me at all (and, well, if you don't), I am NOT "a cat person." In fact, I had pet cockatiels for 22 years, and I am passionate about pet rats. NOT CATS. This poor little bird probably had the most terrifying end to her (yes, it was a her) life, and I was angry at the cats, and felt badly for the bird. What if she was a mama bird and has a nest full of eggs somewhere nearby? Geesh. It was apparent that she got in through the window he left open a few inches that doesn't have a screen! Um, who doesn't have screens on all of their windows, and WHY not? His deck is completely screened in, but his bedroom window is not? WTF? Moving on...

I won't bore you with the details on how I gathered myself and the poor little bird. I will say, however, that all Tank and Slick got during that drop-in (complete w/ surgical mask due to my asthma) was more food, new water, and a "Get away from me you bird killers."

I did not clean up the blood, or the feathers. The other day I attempted to clean up the cat vomit, but there's still a large spot, and the next time I'll be leaving it there. As far as I'm concerned, I'm going above and beyond feeding / watering, and a little bit of playtime and petting. And, if they knock anything else over, that's how it stays.

I'm about to say FUCK IT and see if I can find someone else at work who is able and willing to take care of Tank and Slick for the upcoming week, as I am just not feeling very "bright and cheery" about it anymore. And I was really trying to like them... *sigh*

Shitheads.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home